Why a naturopathic doula?
A naturopathic doctor is trained in basic medical sciences and is given specialized training in obstetrics and pediatrics. Our doulas are licensed naturopathic doctors and primary health care providers in Ontario. In conjunction with standard doula practices, we can provide naturopathic treatments such as botanical medicine, acupuncture, homeopathics, nutritional counseling, supplement review and more.
As a government regulated healthcare profession, services provided by a naturopathic birth doula are covered by most extended healthcare plans.
Studies show that women who were given labour support:
- Are more likely to give birth spontaneously
- Are less likely to use pain medications
- Are less likely to have a c-section
- Are less likely to have assisted deliveries with forceps or vacuum
- Are more likely to be satisfied with their birth outcome
- Have slightly shorter labours
- Have greater breastfeeding outcomes
- Have increased self-esteem
- Suffer less postpartum depression
- Have babies that are less likely to have low five-minute Apgar scores